Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Questioning Materials

 My study has engaged me in learning methods and processes used by our ancestors. My work is 
about the surface of the painting.  What is on this canvas and how does every element of it feel to 
me.  Three dimensional objects poke out of the painting as I question my use of materials.  I am 
utterly involved in my relation to every object I use to create art.  I am continually asking where does this paint come from? Who made it? What plant or mineral is it from?  I can use a tube of beautiful colors but I haven't been finding those colors to be connected to the meaning of what I have created. 

A Moment of Release
handmade dahlia oil paint and graphite on panel
2012
When I use my surrounding environment of materials it is a part of me, my existence, and my beliefs.  In an age where we must question ingredients in our food, shampoo, and medicine, I am doing the same for my paintings. The materials I use are leftover flower petals and herbs from the New York City Flower Market.  There is an extreme amount of wasted flowers because they are either "dead" or "bruised" or have a broken stem.  My paintings have always correlated plants and flowers and by breaking down those bruised and dead flowers in to pigment using a mortar and pestle, I have a direct relationship to my inspiration.  It sometimes takes hours to create an ounce of pigment but the result is gratifying. The work results in expressive marks and sketches of present surroundings with occasional hints of text describing moment of thought.  

Different Families
Handmade oil paint (delphinium, lavender, hydrangea, and basil) and graphite on panel
2012

No comments: